Friday, November 2, 2007

Ooh, that smell...

First and foremost, let me give you a viewing tip. You may have noticed that the news sucks. Cable news networks are simply polemics and infotainment with no real value. Being a bit of junkie for current events, this saddens me. However, if you are up at 7am and looking for your pseudo-intellectual-"I'm-so-smart-because-I-kinda-know-what's-going-on" fix, then I recommend Morning Joe on MSNBC. See, I don't really care what people think, as long as it is reasonable. I am very intolerant toward those who lack an argument. Joe Scarborough on MSNBC is not dumb - and this pleases me. Today, however, officially got the stamp of approval. Joe is an ex-Congressman, Republican. But today he announced that Mark, the market analyst, was his man-crush and that he was distracted by how hot Mark is. How do you not love a Republican who uses the phrase "man-crush" on national TV? Now, I don't always agree with Joe, and he has some pretty extreme guests who sometimes turn me off. But he handles it with class. Of course, right after this positive moment one of their guests came on and started bashing all non-Republicans and throwing around a bunch of liberal-market voodoo Reaganomics, which I think we can all agree is CRAP, but I don't blame Joe for his dumb-ass guests. All that aside...

We have two dogs: Flannery and Penelope. Flannery after O'Connor and Penelope after Odysseus's wife. Penelope used to spend a lot more time inside, but due to schedule changes she now spends quite a few hours a day in the backyard. Penelope decided that fences were not for her and has created many new entrances and exits for herself. We have had to retrieve her from neghbors more than once. We fixed her re-modelling projects, but she is still a little unsure about this all-day-outside business. And because she is nervous and hyper, she gets a little crazy. This causes her to smell a bit more like the great outdoors than usual. The other day I informed her that she stinks, to which my husband responded, "Penelope says, 'I don't stink, that's the smell of intrepitude!'" Seriously, how can you not fall in love with a man who uses phrases like "smell of intrepitude"?

Why doesn't somebody describe me that way? If one of those jerks in college that I hung out with had ever told me I smelled of courage, adventure, and discovery, I probably would have responded with something like "Gee, thanks! Wanna help me lose my virginity?" But, alas...all I got were comments on my boobs. Of course, times have changed. Now it would probably be more like a "bouquet of lameness" or "eau d' boring." What happened? Believe it or not, I was once a very exciting person. So I wondered how many of the people I know still feel we smell of intrepitude? What was the last truly brave thing any of us did? And I don't want this to end up sounding like a made-for-TV movie, but it is an important question. Do you smell of intrepitude or stink of boredom? Just wondering.

2 comments:

I Prefer the Term "Ironic" said...

Had I known about your favorite news program, I definitely would have watched it this morning. What's that, you say? Jennifer? Awake at 7? Yes, I could have watched it this morning because Brad (yes, that Brad) and I were still up and drinking at 7 AM. I discovered at about 6 that if I just covered one eye, it really got rid of that whole pesky "double vision" thing. So I could have watched your program with one eye open and a drink in my hand. By the way, Brad insists that I continue to berate you until you decide to come to Austin just to prove to him how not lame you are. Just a little FYI from me to you.

As far as smell, I reek of alcoholism. I have the stench of brokeness. And I am giving off the comforting aroma of the gnocchi I made at 4 in the morning. And vodka. Gnocchi and vodka. *sniIIIiiiIIIIiif* Ah, the sweet smell of grad school.

Anonymous said...

I thought all troglodytes watched Faux News?