Monday, November 19, 2007

The "F" Word

I am a feminist. I make no bones about it. In the classes I teach I do my best to keep my personal politics out my lectures with two invariable exceptions. One: No Child Left Behind is the worst bit of legislation in the last 30 years, at least. Two: I am a feminist and I am very proud of that.

The thing is, nobody knows what the f-word means. NEWSFLASH: You don't have to hate men, be ugly, butch, a dyke, gay, or mad to be a feminist. If you are a woman that felt she was worthy of a college education and that it would improve your life in some way, you are a feminist. If you are a man who sees these women in college and doesn't stop to tell them they should be at home bearing children, you have feminist proclivities. I hate talk radio because it produced the term "feminazi" which is the most ridiculous term ever. Yes, I think women should get equal pay for equal work - I guess Hitler and I have a lot in common in that respect?

All right, I know all of this sounds like just a rant, but there is a source here.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/11/19/saudi.rape.victim/index.html

So many people think of me as a postmodernist, in the sense that I question meta-narratives. But here is where my very modernist/Enlightenment sensibilities show. Not all cultures are equal - those that recognize women as equals are more "enlightened." Please note: this is NOT a rant against Islam. I have had many Muslim students - and some of those women have been the most intelligent, well-spoken, and impressive students I have had. These are clearly women who have not been raised to think they are less than those around them. In fact, I have noticed a certain confidence they have I could only wish for the other women in my classes. Islam does not impede women - but fear of change does.

Joss Whedon has a fabulous speech on www.americanrhetoric.com. In it he describes a press conference in which he is asked the same question over and over: why does he keep creating these strong women characters? He comes up with many reasons, some political and some personal, but the ultimate answer is because people still feel compelled to ask.

The "F" word - why is it so dangerous to think that I kick just as much ass as another? Well, I do. I am an ass-kicker. Does this make me a bitch? Or just a man in a woman's body? A man who thinks he is awesome is sexy. And I am never more sexy than when I know what I am talking about.

Ultimately, the article mentioned is a frightening reminder of how far we have come. Because of the brave women who came before me, I am getting my PhD. and can one day expect to get paid good money for it. Or, if I so chose, I could stay home. It is up to me. If my husband chose to stay home, that would be fine. I truly live in a blessed time and place. What can I do for those who do not share my benefits?

No comments: