Sunday, November 18, 2007

couth

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/19/us/politics/19mccain.html?ex=1353128400&en=5777e1f7836da5fd&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

I do not agree with John McCain. On anything. The only person I disagree with more is Ron Paul - and I like that guy. He is smart, personable, and consistent - a trait not to be taken lightly in the age of constant media coverage. But John McCain bothers me a great deal. He has tried to court moderates, and every time he does I think his uber-right half gets highlighted. He has tried to court the "evangelical" voting block, and it only makes him look moderate. Incidentally, I wonder if I am a part of that block. I am an evangelical and I am a voter...Ha. Take THAT Gallup!! But, more to the point, I have a great deal of respect for John McCain the man. McCain can talk the talk and has walked the walk. He is anti-torture because he has been tortured. I don't care what block you are from, that is some street cred. While I don't like his policies (okay, I like what he has to say about torture and I am fully behind the McCain-Feingold bill) I like the dude. McCain seems very concerned with, well, human decency. I can get behind that. Yeah, he's been very pointed about some things he disagrees with - especially when H. Clinton is concerned. But it seems to me as if he wants to disagree like civilized people. I guess being a POW teaches the value of basic decency. I dig.

So, here's to you, Mr. McCain. Now I just hope you don't get elected!

No comments: