Wednesday, November 7, 2007

I believe that the world might be about to end.

Or at least "conservative" as we know it. Today, Pat Robertson announced his support of Guiliani. WHAT? Last time I checked Guiliani and Clinton were the same person. I mean the healthcare thing is a problem, but largely only one of them is necessary. And coming from a Southern Baptist background I know that there are many who believe that Clinton is at least a succubus, if not Legion him/themselves. So I find myself confused.

Ultimately, this points to an idea that my students and I have discussed at length. There are no consistent ideologies in America. At least, not in the mainstream. Libertarians are pretty dependable, but they apparently aren't cool. A "conservative" wants the government out of our lives - down with big government. Except when it comes to the choices we make with our bodies, the way we behave in the bedroom, and what we say on the telephone. That is CLEARLY a small government's business. If you are liberal you are okay with big government - let's centralize some stuff. Except for gathering intelligence, what to do with our bodies, and how we behave in the bedroom. The government can be big - but not that big.

I won't even begin to comment on the philosophical economic difference between equality and equitability. But eventually I will. Does anybody take economics in high school anymore? The words "opportunity cost" should ring a bell.

Whatever. The parties are a mess. And, lo and behold, surveys indicate that young voters think so, too. Party alliance seems dumb to Generation X and Y'ers. They go issue by issue to see who they agree with the most. And who can blame them? For many of us our parents don't make sense. And for many of us our parents are Democrats and Republicans. That being said, the two party system sure makes things easy. I'm sure we can all attest to sitting in a restaurant forever because there were so many choices on the menu.

But I digress. Robertson. Guiliani. My grandmother, who is the most ardent Republican IN THE WORLD, is shitting a brick right now. That is, assuming she knows anything about Rudy except he is a Republican and he's from New York. My guess is all her friends and all my parent's friends are in the same boat.

And I'm out.

1 comment:

'Til Next Time said...

Ironically, or rather, a further sign that armageddon is coming- I too blogged on this today and agreed with you. Scary.