Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Token Black Man

I heard somebody on the news this morning say the thing I have been dreading:

Clearly there is no need for affirmative action programs and we can see that race relations have improved because there is a black man who might be president.

Woohoo! Racism is dead because one black guy is successful. Outstanding - I can finally rid myself of liberal WASP guilt because between Oprah and Obama - how much proof do we need that we are all on a level playing field?

Now, I am NOT saying that things aren't better now than they once were. But I do think it is very dangerous to put the exceptional on a pedestal to show the world that anything is possible. It's the same as pointing to ONE person who started out as a welfare recipient and ended up a millionaire and announcing that anybody can do it. It's a fallacy. Faulty analogy or hasty generalization - you could look at it either way. Btw, just google "welfare to millionaire" - but only if you enjoy nonsense.

Do I think Barack Obama is a great role model and symbol of the possibilities here in the US? Yes. Do I think his success means that racism is no longer institutionalized. No. Big No.

No comments: