Thursday, July 24, 2008

Once upon a time my alma mater was respectable

Baylor University fires President John Lilley 1:13 PM CT | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | Latest News

Yeah. Things are that bad. I would like to point one thing out: I was right. About a lot of things. See, Baylor has been headed down hill for a number of years. It started with Sloan. The only cool thing that guy ever did was allow dancing on campus. I know - heresy. There were all kinds of terrible decisions made - in an attempt to elevate Baylor's status. By the time I graduated the school was in such bad financial shape that you could have liquidated the whole place and still have been in a ton of debt. He ran that place so far into the ground that they had to borrow from a rainy day fund just to break even for a few years. And the rainy day fund had been used once since 1845 - the year that Baylor broke from the SBC, which provided a great deal of their funding.

Then there were charming ideas floated like "you can research what you want, but you won't get funding for it unless it is inline with Baptist doctrine." That one eventually got shot down - but I'm pretty sure only because of Baylor Med.

I don't know what this Lilley fellow did, but it must have been bad. I'm on a search to find out. See, they kept Sloan around for 10 years - he was sort of like George W Bush - only at the college level. Started out w/ pretty good support, then it waned when people realized he was not only an idiot but a an ideologue, until the only folks left who liked him were the ones who believe he might be Jesus. So what the crap did this Lilley guy do that was so bad? Stay tuned. I'll find out.

While I may not particularly love the school I am at right now, I will say I am more proud of the degrees I got here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Overturning tenure recommendations for 12 of 30 candidates is not the way to attract top faculty. Plus, if his getting sacked was related to the tenure denials, and the board refuses to re-examine these cases, then what you have here is one inept, dysfunctional institution.