Saturday, July 26, 2008

Gossip, cont

The Forbidden Gospels Blog: Baylor Board fires university's president

I'm not ready to make official proclamations (you know I will when I can) but it seems that this is just as juicy a story as I wanted it to be. First, please read the comment on the last post - whoever anon is, she/he is right. The speculation I have heard is that Lilley was all on board with the 2012 goal of becoming a top tier university. And he had some crazy ideas about that. Things like maybe we shouldn't be granting tenure for things like ID and a really good teacher who doesn't actually do research. As I said, all speculation. But, if that is the case all of Sloan's old lackey's would be having heart - attacks. See, Bobby S. had this idea that you can be an inerrentist, base your research on the Bible, and be a highly respected academic. Now - some of my readers are inerrentists. And most of my readers are smarter than I am - am I saying you are dumb if you believe the world was created in 7 days? No. But you also have to accept that you will not be a respected biologist that way. And my readers know this. Sloan didn't. At the time I was studying English, and I just wasn't sure how I was supposed to be a good Baptist but also look at things like gender studies and postmodernism. Good thing I gave up and was a medievalist for a few years.

So, if the rumors I have heard are true, Lilley's problem was that he took Baylor's goals seriously. And if you know anything about Baylor you know that the last 15 years people have been pretty split down the middle on just that.

If I hear more or something different, rest assured I will re-visit the issue. Hell, I'm sure I will regardless.

Thanks and Gig 'em.

No comments: