Wednesday, July 9, 2008

I can't believe I am going to say this

Iraq Wants Withdrawal Timetable In U.S. Pact - washingtonpost.com

A timetable might not be in anybody's interest. In fact, pulling out immediately might not be in all party's interests. Of course, neither is staying in. When discussing Iraq it is SO hard for me not to say "I was right! I told you so!"

That being said, I actually think Richard Nixon made this particular mistake the most clear. (I know - I promise it really is me typing this!!) But Nixon's comment in a similar situation was that a timetable didn't do anything but show your cards to your opponent. Now, Nixon had one advantage in that he kind of knew who his opponent was. I don't think we can say that here. But, his point was if you tell "the enemy" when you are leaving, then all they have to do is sit back and wait. Just chill until the day you leave, then go back to your oppositional business.

Once again, let me re-state: we never should have been there. There ARE no good options - it is going to suck regardless. Thousands more people WILL die because of this madness. The question is "what will suck the least?" And I don't have an answer. I can only point at the options and say "here is the suckiness of this plan." I leave it to other people to weigh it all out.

No comments: