Thursday, July 31, 2008

I seriously need a vacation

Last night we had to drive to a little town outside of Houston called Sealy. Sealy is basically a bunch of fast food restaurants and a Catholic church all kind of near each other. We had to drop off the car we had borrowed and it had to be done that day. This ended up being about a 4-4.5 hour ordeal because we sort of got stuck there doing the family thing. Which is all well and good - except for the fact that I have work to do. Always. I got up early and pretty much finished my diss proposal so I could just do some final editing that night. Things like finish the works cited, etc. Even though we got back around 10:30 and I was just starting my work, I felt like I could be in bed by 12am, 12:30 at the latest.

But, of course, there were things I did not count on. Like the fact that my presentation for tomorrow's class had completely disappeared. I was going to have to redo the whole damned thing. Awesome. Oh - and I couldn't open any documents. ANY documents. Microsoft Word had just decided not to work AT ALL. Outstanding - I've got a dissertation to write and no word processing or office program. I'm not sure how that could be more awesome.

So around 11:15 I head to campus. Only to get all the way there to discover that because I am using different keys that normal because we keep having to switch cars I have left the keys to my office at home. So I turn around, go back home, grab my keys and head to campus again. I left my office about 1:30 am. Hubby is freaking out a bit because he knows that once every other week either a woman is sexually assualted or a foreign student is beaten about half a mile away from where my office is. Which I didn't think about when I left - just when he started begging me to be careful. But, I made it to my car. The only reason I left that soon was Hubby called to tell me I could open my documents again - so if I wanted to finish at home I could. When I got in I immediately started typing up the last bits of my proposal. At which time hubby begins telling me about all the ways in which my computer is f*&^ed up and I will need to do all kinds of things tomorrow to get it working properly. At that time I was a bit distracted and didn't hear a word of it. Eventually, around 2:30 in the morning, I got into bed.

So today I have no wireless on my own computer. I am having to resave everything in different programs to make it manageable. Neither of which are annoying at all.

Tonight I tutor, and we all know what a joy that is. I cannot believe I still have two days left of school. That doesn't sound like much - but it will be an eternity.

The positive of this: I sent on my dissertation to my committee. I'm pretty sure most of it is lucid, which at this point in the summer, I am pretty proud of. More to come on that, I am sure.

For now I am going to listen to speeches. I have already gotten an email in which a student informed me she had chosen not to. Just not going to do this assignment that is 20% of her grade. Well - I guess that's one less for me to worry about.

No comments: