Monday, July 14, 2008

Forgive me, reader

Ok - I try to keep my comments relegated to the stuff of the public sphere. I like posting about news and human interests and that sort of thing. But I feel as if the month of July has merited a personal rant.

Two weeks ago my husband was in a car accident. Thank God nobody was hurt. But it totally screwed up his car. I mean really badly. It's been in the shop all this time. We should have it back by Friday. All of this is frustrating because while we CAN survive with just one car, it is challenging. Our schedules really don't coincide.

Three days after said car accident he was diagnosed with shingles. That's right - shingles. Do you know who gets shingles? Apparently my relatives, my husband, and people over the age of 60. Do you know what it is? Think of the best parts of the chicken pox, herpes, and mono all rolled up into a viral cocktail. Yes, it is THAT awesome. Once again, thank God we caught it early - it cleared up pretty quickly and he was only in a minimal amount of pain. Unfortunately, in order to clear it up the doctor put him on uber-drugs. Seriously, you would not believe the number of pills he had to swallow. This included a lot of steroids. Steroids mess with your immune system. So as soon as the shingles cleared up he developed a staph infection. From what I can tell his arms are NOT going to fall off - but I won't place any bets either.

So today he takes me to work so he can run some errands. As he is headed home smoke begins to billow up from under the hood of my car. I'm not kidding - smoke. We don't know what the problem with my car is, but we're sure not going to drive it at this point. Dying in a fiery car explosion is not on my "to-do" list. So today I was stuck on campus in the pouring rain waiting for SOMEBODY to be able to pick me up. It was awesome. Really.

I have not burst into tears yet. I have not taken it out on any students or unsuspecting bystanders. I feel as if these are both big accomplishments. I am beginning to wonder if this is payback for something. Any ideas?

So, I apologize. I am sorry for the long rant about things that don't concern you. But these are the things on my mind. I'll rhetoricize the crap out of you later this week - I promise.

No comments: