Monday, July 28, 2008

In which the city of Philadelphia does an article on a subject similar to my dissertation

Philadelphia Reflects On Who Is An American : NPR

Here's the difference. I think NPR is trying to do the impossible. The definition of "American" is so slippery and malleable and individualized that I don't think there will ever be a day in which we agree on it. So, you may ask, what the hell is my dissertation about?

I am approaching the question a bit more specifically. I'm not asking who or what is an American, but how we go about trying to define that publicly. I am more interested in the methods and tools we use to try and reach consensus - as opposed to the final result I am looking at the process. Which should keep me busy for quite some time.

Smart, huh?

No comments: