Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Hardly news, but comment worthy

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Music/01/08/britney.drphil.ap/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

As many of us know, I have a special interest in issues of mental and emotional health. And I have to wonder outloud - WHO THE HELL ARE THE PEOPLE WHO LISTEN TO THIS HACK IN THE FIRST PLACE?

He is such a fraud.

There are plenty of people who have problems, and many, many more who need to be asked, "seriously, what the crap are you thinking?" But just asking that one question doesn't fix the problem. If you are having a troubled marriage, 3o min in front of an audience will not fix it. Fixing a life takes time, effort, discipline, and somebody who knows what the hell they are talking about.

For those of us who have been to counseling or therapy we all know the same frustration - somebody asking us the questions that we came to have answered, refusing to say much, and jotting down notes which we will never get to see. So we sit and seethe, and fantasize about snatching that damned notepad, tying the therapist to the chair, reading through everything she/he has ever written, then making them sit in silence while we "take notes." BUT - the reason we all know this experience is because professionals know this works. You have to come to realizations on your own or they simply don't matter. People can tell us all day "Don't be stupid" but until it dawns on us "Holy cow, I behave stupidly, I should stop that" nothing changes.

Enter Dr. Phil, and the whole talk show lifestyle. One hour will not fix my life - or your life - or whatever gender confused bigamist may be on television. Perhaps that is a slight exaggeration, but whatever. The point stands. And I realize this isn't some insight into politics or literature or any of those things I so love - but I feel this is an issue.

When I was first diagnosed with bipolar disorder I had to go to group therapy. I knew within two weeks that I was better off than everybody else in that room. They complained incessantly about mood swings and depression and that their pills weren't working. Well, yes, they had mood swings - they are still people. No, the pills had not fixed everything because that is not what they are supposed to do. Pills, therapy, whatever are all just tools which I have to use to improve myself. These things do not get fixed completely and do not get fixed immediately.

Mood disorders and mental illness are completely over-diagnosed. But there is this absolutely ridiculous notion that we are all supposed to be okay all the time. What nonsense. And people like Dr. Phil only cause more harm than they do good, because they perpetuate this idea of quick and easy fixes. Life isn't easy - and with any luck, it isn't quick either.

And so, I leave you with this:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was certainly interesting for me to read that post. Thanks for it. I like such themes and everything connected to this matter. I definitely want to read a bit more soon.

Anonymous said...

It is extremely interesting for me to read that article. Thanks for it. I like such topics and anything connected to this matter. I definitely want to read more on that blog soon.

Anonymous said...

By the way, use GSM blocker to disable all secret transmitters in your home or at work.